The Canadian Labour Congress and some of its affiliate unions that included the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees met with Minister Garneau and Minister Morneau to discuss the impact of the novel coronavirus upon the airline industry on Saturday March 28.
Our key priorities presented at the meeting were:
- a wage subsidy for all negatively impacted workers;
- the extension of benefits coverage to all those who have been laid-off;
- the ability for laid-off workers to buy-back into their pension funds when they return to work;
- the issuance of proper personal protective equipment to front-line staff; and
- respect for collective agreements.
Finance Minister Morneau acknowledged that government was in talks with the airline industry and agreed that workers need to be supported but stopped short of making any type of commitment as to how they will be supported.
UCTE is requesting a follow-up call to discuss more specifically our members who work at Nav Canada and all parts of the airport authorities including security, IT and the fuellers.